Mechanical Engineer/Designer – Saskatoon, SK
POSITION IS LOCATED IN SASKATOON, SK
Vecima (TSE: VCM) is a world-class designer and manufacturer of advanced broadband telecommunications products. Our products are shipped around the world and are used by major international companies to deliver Digital TV, Video-on-Demand, Broadband Internet Service and Telematics in over 30 countries.
Building on three decades of consecutive profitable operations and a track record of strong engineering and manufacturing capabilities, Vecima’s products are in widespread demand. We are fueled by the innovation, leadership and passion of today’s top talent. Join Vecima and work in an environment that values teamwork and communication, rewards innovation and achievement, and fosters growth and opportunity in your career.
The Mechanical Engineer/Designer is responsible for a variety of mechanically related tasks, including chassis design and packaging, design and building of test and assembly fixtures for production, providing Design for Manufacturability feedback on new products being developed by R&D and improving mechanical processes on the production floor.
Duties & Responsibilities to include (but not limited to):
- Responsible for mechanical design of Vecima products and fixtures which includes but is not limited to the following aspects; chassis enclosures, fasteners, mounting of boards into enclosures, labelling and silk screening, cabling and environmental controls.
- Complete mechanical analysis of designs (e.g. thermal, mechanical stress etc).
- Support the creation of feasibility studies for new products being proposed for development with a focus on the Manufacturing aspects of those developments.
- Develop test processes for verifying that a new product or fixture meets the mechanical requirements stipulated
- Participate in design reviews of new products under development and provide feedback regarding the manufacturability of design choices being made
- Design supporting components (e.g. packaging) for new products being developed that addresses the product requirements while accommodating the abilities of suppliers
- Provide technical support to other departments and suppliers when requested (e.g. support the qualification of a new supplier, provide additional design capacity to the design team etc.)
- Create and maintain engineering drawings for custom components using 3D modeling software
- Design and develop procedures and work instructions for any mechanical processes required to manufacture a product
- Provide technical support for the maintenance of mechanical procedures and work instructions.
- Investigate the root cause of mechanical problems and develop solutions to those problems.
- Follow safety precautions and guidelines when working with hazardous materials, heavy loads, electrical circuits, equipment, etc.
- Support continuous improvement and cost reduction efforts to Vecima’s products, process and test fixtures
- Create and drive ECO’s as needed to address a problem with products or processes, improve product yield or as part of continuous improvement efforts
- Be familiar with the manufacturing processes used to produce the products being designed
- Must have good communication and problem solving skills and be able to work independently or collaboratively with a team as the need arises
- Must have strong technical knowledge of mechanical concepts which relate to the casting and stamping of metal and plastic injection moulding in addition to the 3D modelling tools used in the designs of these
- Must have excellent critical thinking ability
- Must have a strong desire to learn and keep up to speed with the latest industry trends and how they could relate to Vecima’s products
- Capable of managing moderate to highly complex design tasks with minimal support or supervision
- Takes initiative to ensure they get to participate in design reviews, stakeholder discussions etc. where their input could bring value to the discussions. This also applies to finding permanent solutions to process or design problems which occur.
- High level of awareness of issues which could impact Manufacturing. Design for Manufacturability feedback can result in a moderate to significant amount of cost avoidance.
- Expert level of understanding of troubleshooting techniques which enables them to troubleshoot the root cause of moderate to highly complex mechanical problems.
- Can be trusted to exercise judgement on decisions where the impact would be measured in tens of thousands of dollars and/or weeks of schedule impact
- Typically requires a minimum of 5 to 10 years of experience developing processes for and supporting a manufacturing line
- BS Mechanical Engineering degree or Technologist diploma or relevant education and experience
Vecima has a competitive compensation and benefits package, and strives to provide a challenging work environment that can foster skill development and personal career growth for all employees.
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
If you are looking for a challenging career move as Mechanical Engineer/Designer, we want to hear from you!
Please email your application, including a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the job title in the subject line.