About Vecima Networks
Vecima Networks Inc. (TSX:VCM) is a globally recognized leader in creating breakthrough technology solutions that empower network service providers to connect people and enterprises to information and entertainment worldwide. Vecima products for the cable industry allow service providers a cost-effective Last Mile Solution® for both video and broadband access, especially in the demanding business services market segment. Vecima’s Video Content Delivery and Storage business, operated under the Concurrent brand, includes solutions and software for industries and customers that focus on storing, protecting, transforming, and delivering high-value media assets. Vecima also provides fleet managers the key information and analytics they require to optimally manage their business under the Contigo, NERO Global Tracking, and FleetLynx brands.
Vecima Networks was founded in 1988 in Saskatoon, SK under the name Wavecom Electronics Inc. by Dr. Surinder Kumar, professor and holder of the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council’s Industrial Chair in Telecommunications at the University of Saskatchewan. Its first commercial products were a line of modulators for the cable television industry which proved vital in the new and emerging Internet and cable markets. The company grew rapidly over the next several decades, at one point with more than 50% of the high-speed internet-over-cable data traffic in the world being transmitted across devices manufactured by Vecima.
- 1988 Wavecom Electronics Inc. is founded and incorporated by Dr. Surinder Kumar
- 1990 First commercial products include a line of modulators for the cable television industry
- 1998 Corporate Headquarters relocated to Victoria, BC
- 2003 Wavecom changes name to VCom Inc.
- 2003 VCom acquires YourLink, a wireless service provider
- 2005 VCom transitions to a public company – VCM on the TSX
- 2005 VCom wins the Advancing Technology award at BC Export Awards
- 2006 VCom changes its name to Vecima Networks Inc.
- 2007 Vecima acquires Spectrum Signal Processing
- 2008 Vecima signs supply agreement with Cisco Systems
- 2013 Vecima announces appointment of Sumit Kumar to position of CEO
- 2016 Vecima acquires Contigo Systems Inc., a telematics company
- 2017 Vecima sells YourLink to Xplornet
- 2017 Vecima acquires Concurrent, a video content delivery and storage company